Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Keep the line moving

Let me just say this: I hate people who check their receipts (or dillydally in some other way) at checkout counters and other retail lines.

I mean, I understand that on very very rare occasions, mistakes are made. Some people have limited resources, so even a little bit counts, but seriously...you aren't really helping yourself.
First, let me reiterate how rarely this happens. I imagine the average person loses maybe $5 (this is just a guess based on my own experience, but I imagine if it was any serious money, we would hear more about it) a year. Great. I would probably pay you $5 to move out of the line.
Second, what are you actually doing when you hold up the line? Are you checking to make sure the amount charged matches the advertised price? No. If they did that, they would be back in the aisles comparing prices. Are they making sure there was not a mathematical error in the total? No. You never see these people carefully adding up the repceit. In fact, they are doing one of two things: they are either checking for duplicate items or they are looking to make sure everything "seems right." While the former has some legitimate reasoning behind it, the latter is completely bogus. These people don't really have a clue what the exact price for the metamucil is...but they are going to ask the cashier because it doesn't seem right to them. Oh...it is in fact $5.95? Looks like you were wrong again, grandma...for the 50th time that year. Thanks for making us all wait so you could reassure yourself.

Furthermore, it is totally unnecessary to hold up the line at all. This is what you do. You pay, you get your receipt, you move out of the line, and then you check for problems. If there are any, you can either go back to the cashier or go to the manager's box (or whatever it is called). You don't have to wait. This goes for fast food restaurants (where people check to make sure their cheeseburgers have no pickles) or any other place where people wait in line to pay for things. We have all been waiting for a while....don't piss us all off more. Maybe if you were more efficient with your time you wouldn't have to worry about the occasional 15¢ (which again...is probably still really rare to begin with).

I also hate it when people wait until the transaction has been completely finished to bring up something...like coupons and discounts. I was in a very long line at the safeway the other day, and when this person in front of me got her receipt, she handed the cashier her safeway card. I mean what the fuck. There are several written signs and things all over the place, in addition to the cashier's "do you have a safeway card" to prompt you to give them the card BEFORE the total is brought up. The cashier was rightfully a little disgruntled. He was going to have to void the transaction and redo it (requiring a manager). He scanned the card anyway to discover this person would be saving 20¢. That's right: 20¢. He asked her if this was really important enough for this. She replied that it was...determined to save 20¢ from like $70 in groceries. So the cashier pulled 20¢ out of his own pocket and just gave it to her. She was embarrassed (as she should have been) and tried to object, but he had moved on to the next customer.

People need to learn how to get a move on. I mean, really. Just because your life sucks, it doesn't mean you have to trap the rest of us in it for 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Life on the Sunny Side said...

It's true. I haz a blog now too. Heart, Hesley

S. said...

damn straight!