So, this morning, I got a call from my boss. She has been in Asia/the midwest for the past week and will be back Wednesday. She was upset because she claimed I did not give her something that she claims she needed (frankly it was not necessary, but more of issue of convenience...but anyways). I distinctly remeber including it in her travel things, and when I said, "Oh, I thought I gave that to you with your things," she simply replied, "uh...no...you didn't."
This is a common occurance; however, I have an email from her while she is in Asia specifically referring to this document and asking me a question about it. In fact, it would be impossible for her to have sent the email without having it right in front of her.
Now, when she comes back on Wednesday, she's going to call me into her office to talk about it. The question is, do I bring the email, slap it on her desk, and point out the completely indisputable fact that she is simply wrong?
The problem is that she will do anything she can to avoid admitting she is wrong. In fact, she will dig around for some trivial fact to avoid it, no matter how insignificant. However, with this email, she will truly be stuck. Which means she might lay off me for a while and stop harassing me...or she might totally flip out/hold a grudge against me about it. She might also make up some non-sense excuse to why it is still my fault such as, "you should have sent me another copy while I was there."
I should also point out that there was another issue that she brought up that was in fact my fault. I incorrectly converted some time zone changes for two appointments today. While it might seem minor, I should have picked it up, and it is entirely my fault. So, this might also affect things if I confront her about the first issue. She could, for example, totally dodge the issue that I contest and then go really heavy on this issue.
However, it is possible that she might actually admit the mistake and actually think about things before she makes groundless accusations at me as she often does. Or she might do it more because she will start to hate me. Still, she always holds these sorts of things against me regardless of if I did anything wrong or not. So, even when I do nothing wrong, her opinion of my abilities and the way I do my job get worse and worse.
Oh, and I know I should get a new job. But until I have one, I need to keep this one....but also make it livable (especially if I am unable to find a new one).
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
First of all, what a ho!
Ok. I would bring the email with you when she calls you into her office. You can always plead confusion and let her know that you don't understand how she could have sent you an email regarding the missing document if she didn't have it with her? As for the timezone conversion, let her freak out and then apologize for your mistake and assure her it will not happen again. Sounds like you have to kind of keep cool and let her feel right in order to prevent her wrath.
Yikes. Hope your job search works out!
it ultimately depends on which you care about more: keeping your job or keeping your pride.
I don't know this woman, and I don't know how Washington works, but I think you are probably a more patient man than me.
I would admit your mistake, and apologize for it before she has a chance to say anything. Then I would call her on her crap. If she fires you, well at least you can finally rip her the new one she so rightly deserves, or if it works out well she'll know she cant pick on you anymore.
I would find a new job no matter what though. Life's too short to work for assholes.
Hesley: I might try something similar to that so that in every way possible I seem as humble and diplomatic and avoid challenging her ego. But would it be enough?
Also, I already admitted my mistake about the timezone error. I mean, I do make mistakes, and I have before. It was not a problem because the backup calendar she had had the correct time, and she noticed the difference. So, I have no problem admitting that I made the mistake and will do my best to prevent it in the future.
Jeff: If I cared about my pride I would have been fired/would have stormed out a long time ago. This is not a question of my own ego or pride. While I cannot deny that confronting here would provide a certain satisfaction, my goal is to stop her harassing me like this. I also need to keep my job because the job market is so bad right now. I cannot afford to lose the job, but I might go nuts if she doesn't lay off. Furthermore, if I left on bad terms she would make sure I did not find another job (which she can do).
All I want her to do is to think before she accuses me of doing something wrong when she simply does not understand something.
Post a Comment