Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Annoyance Calling

Why do people have ringtones other than "normal" ones?

I sit in an office, and I am constantly attacked by really annoying and really inappropriate ringtones from professionals who have 10 second clips from random pop songs or way-to-jazzy ringtones. Why? Why do you need these? It doesn't say much about your personality other than you are inconsiderate of the people around you. Furthermore, it singles you out. Do you really want everyone within 25 feet of you to take notice that you just received a phone call? Because no body else cares that you did. It is one thing if you are college age or younger, but after that you really need to get a little more mature....especially if it is your business cell phone. Why can't you just have one of those normal "sounds like a ringing phone" ringtones? No body takes notice, but you still know it is your phone. Furthermore, it is not tacky and there are enough brands of phones with enough normal ringtones to make yours relatively unique. Remember, just because you like the tune provided does not mean you need to blast it all over the place. If people did that with stereos, everyone would get angry, people would complain, and the police would give you some sort of citation.

And what makes it worse is when you don't take your phone with you. You leave it on your desk and someone calls...but you aren't there. So it rings loudly with some music nobody wants to hear for about a minute. And then if we are really lucky, the unsatisfied caller will call back to make sure that you didn't just NOT HEAR THE PHONE. IS THAT NECESSARY? BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SURE AS HELL HEARD IT.

2 comments:

Life on the Sunny Side said...

I do have a rap song as my ringtone, HOWEVER, my phone is on silent/vibrate while I am at work and at auditions!

Mr. Nowlin-Fisch said...

I should clarify that it is far more acceptable if people do as you do and set it on silent/vibrate depending on the situation. Of course, many cannot be trusted to do this. Also, I still have a little bit of hard time even in more social/informal situations...but I guess that falls into the arena of personal choice.