Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A typical day

Someone explain this to me:

Yesterday my boss sent someone else in the office an email, asking them to arrange a meeting with a third party this week. She also copied the third party about this scheduling. The third person sent back some times late yesterday. The person in my office never responded, but I can only assume she read the emails. My boss then confronts me and asks me why I haven't done anything. I wasn't included on the emails or anything (although I had access to the emails...among the hundreds of other emails my boss gets everyday...but having read it, I noted that she asked someone else to make the arrangements, not me). She then is angry because I now have to "rush" to make the appointment. I inform her that 1. I was not copied on the emails (a typical indication that I need to do something), 2. she specifically asked someone else to set this up, saying "[name] will set up a time," 3. she in no way whatsoever before today gave any indication to me that she wanted me involved whatsoever, and 4. after she did bring it to my attention, I was able to set the entire thing up within a few minutes.

In fact, it would make perfect sense to assume that by asking someone else to do something, you are NOT asking me to do it.

Her reply was "you should read the emails and circle back on these sorts of things." Of course, she never asks me to do this. Never has she ever given me the slightest indication that it is my responsibility to make sure other people do what she asks. I am not the nanny for everyone in the office. I don't have the time (or the care) to follow-up with every person in this office and ask them why they haven't done what my boss has asked of them. Frankly, if I did, everyone would become extremely irritated...and you would too. It is not my job, and it is none of my business frankly. Get angry at them, not me. And don't accuse me of not doing my job.

No comments: